General Liability

General Liability provides coverage in defense of claims or lawsuits brought against you due to bodily injury or property damage for which you are legally liable. This coverage applies when someone other than an employee is injured on your property, or off your property if the injury is allegedly caused by you. Typical types of General Liability claims include someone slipping and falling on your premises or a tree on your property falling onto a neighbor’s residence.

The liability program provides $50 million in liability protection to respond to claims and lawsuits against parishes. The protection has no deductible and, in addition to covering the cost of settlement or judgment, includes coverage for the expenses associated with investigating and defending the claims or litigation. These expenses may include legal fees, expert consulting and testimony, engineering or medical experts and other expenses related to the claim.

The basic liability program includes such additional protections as:
•    Crisis Management and Communications Support
•    Auto Liability (In addition to the primary auto liability coverage noted later)
•    Directors and Officers coverage of $15 million
•    Professional Liability of $3 million
•    Sexual Misconduct Liability coverage of $1 million
•    Employment Practices Liability
•    School Board Legal Liability
•    Innocent Person Defense Cost Reimbursement 

Liquor Liability Protection

This Protection is intended solely to protect the Archdiocese, it’s parishes and other Catholic organizations that participate in the RCAB insurance program. It covers Liquor Liability exposure for Parish-sponsored events or archdiocesan organization events. If a parish intends to use its facilities for a parish-run function, the charge is $135.00 per event/per day and the parish must notify the Office of Risk Management for each occasion. You may notify us by filling out our Host Liquor Liability Request Form, or by calling us at 617-746-5745.

This Protection does not apply to any non-parish group or private functions by parishioners or groups of parishioners, such as wedding receptions, baptismal parties, showers, etc.

Liquor Liability for Non-Parish Groups 

If the parish allows a non-parish function to be conducted on its premises, and if liquor is to be sold or distributed, that individual or group must obtain their own Host Liquor Liability coverage and show proof of same to the parish. A Certificate of Insurance naming the parish and the Archbishop of Boston, a Corporation Sole, must be submitted to the parish (and retained for one year in the parish). This Certificate of Insurance should show that groups also have regular Premises Liability Insurance. If the organization cannot obtain this coverage or does not hire a professional bartender or caterer with such coverage, then alcoholic beverages should not be served at the function.

If there is any question on the application of these guidelines, please contact the Office of Risk Management.

For forms pertaining to liquor liability protection, please see the Forms tab under the Parish Protection menu on the left.