Special Event Coverage

Many parishes and schools allow non-parish groups to utilize space in parish or school buildings, either as a source of revenue or as a way to aid outside organizations that lack meeting space. Examples include groups that meet regularly, such as Boy Scouts, Knights of Columbus or rotary clubs, and one-time events, such as wedding receptions or birthday parties.

We encourage pastors and parish councils to be innovative with the space provided in a parish. However, in order to ensure the safety of the groups involved and to protect the parish from liability, there are certain steps a pastor should take when allowing non-parish groups to use parish premises. The following should be obtained from the group:

  • A Licensing Agreement signed by the pastor and the organizer of the group utilizing the space. The parish should keep a signed copy of this agreement in their files.
  • Request a Certificate of Insurance from the group showing proof of liability coverage with limits of at least $1,000,000 for general and auto liability, and proof of workers’ compensation insurance. The certificate must also show as additional insureds the parish/school, the pastor, and the Archbishop of Boston, a Corporate Sole.
  • Alternatively, if the group does NOT maintain their own insurance, the group must purchase Special Events coverage through our GatherGuard Program.

Purchasing Insurance Through GatherGuard

To purchase special event coverage, advise the group to do the following:


Learn more about your coverage