Property FAQ

If you have a question that is not answered on this page, please contact our Claims Manager.

How can I request a reduction in the insured value of a parish building?

If your parish is insuring a building that would not be rebuilt in the event of a catastrophic loss, under limited circumstances, you may consider requesting a reduction in the insured value to “demolition value” only. In order to obtain authorization to reduce the insured value, a parish must take the following steps:
  1. The parish must obtain at least two estimates for the cost of demolishing the building in question
  2. The pastor must then send a letter, along with the estimates, to the Vicar General, with a cc to the Chancellor and the Office of Risk Management, requesting the insured value be reduced to the cost of demolition
  3. The letter must indicate that the building would not be rebuilt, along with the reason or rationale supporting that position

If, after consultation with the Office of Pastoral Planning and the Real Estate Department, approval is granted by the Vicar General and the Chancellor, then the Office of Risk Management will be notified and the appropriate adjustments will be ​made.

I have a new copy machine. The leasing company wants me to purchase insurance. Should I?

You may purchase coverage from our office at a rate that is generally much lower than what the leasing company will charge you. We will issue you a Certificate of Insurance as evidence to show the leasing company. To obtain this insurance and the certificate, fill out our online Property Certificate of Insurance Request Form. When you submit the form, there will be an option to upload an electronic version the lease agreement. Please be sure to include the Insurable Value of the equipment on the form.

Neighbors want to park their cars in our lot on a regular basis. Is this ok?

Yes, but you should take precautions in order to mitigate the potential liability exposure to the parish should a car be damaged or stolen. Having residents or commuters sign a Parish Premises Use Agreement releasing RCAB of all liability is a prudent action and is preferable to a verbal agreement. For more information, contact the Real Estate Department, tel: 617-746-5986.

I think our property is under insured. What should I do?

You may request that an insurance appraisal be performed. Send your request in writing to the Office of Risk Management, 66 Brooks Drive, Braintree, MA 02184, Attention: Manager of Risk Analysis and Reporting.

Does the parish have to pay a deductible when someone else causes the damages?

Yes. When someone else causes damages, such as driving a vehicle through a fence, our Claims Manager places that person’s insurance carrier on notice. To facilitate repairs, our Claims Manager will ask for several proposals and then authorize repairs to be conducted as soon as possible. Payment will then be made to the parish, minus the deductible. Once the work is complete, subrogation against the at-fault party’s insurance carrier will be pursued. Once the money is recovered from the insurance carrier, the parish will be reimbursed the deductible. Please note that if 100% of the money is recovered, the parish will receive 100% of the deductible back. In some instances, only a portion of the money is recovered. For example, if 80% is received from the other carrier, the parish will be reimbursed 80% of the deductible.

What should we do in the event we have a flood or sudden release of water into our building?

Contact a disaster restoration company immediately to conduct water extracting and drying operations. Then report the situation to the Claims Manager. Our office can recommend a disaster restoration company if you do not know of one, or you access our Disaster Restoration Contact List.

Is all property damage covered?

No, there are exclusions on the policy. In general, damage from a fire, flood or severe weather is covered. Damage resulting from corrosion, deterioration, rot and wear-and-tear is not covered.

What type of property is covered under our plan?

Damage to real property and contents owned by the parish, school or institution are covered.

View All FAQ