Creating an Emergency “Go Bag”
Whether it’s a climate-related emergency, like a hurricane, or a medical emergency that requires you to rush to an emergency room, having a “go bag” on hand is essential.
Here are some items to include in your bag:
- Copy of identifying documents, like license or passport, and health insurance card
- List of phone numbers of family members and close friends
- A few days’ supply of essential medications
- Extra pair of glasses (or reading glasses), or spare contact lenses
- Phone charger
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- KN95 face masks
- Travel toothbrush and toothpaste
- Cash, preferably small bills
- Credit card
- Gum, hard candy, and non-perishable snacks
- Small pad and pen for taking notes
- Small bottle of water
- Over the counter pain medications
- Extra set of house keys
- Sweater or small blanket
Be sure to keep you go bag in a location that will be easy to access in an emergency. Do not be tempted to borrow from the contents of the bag – reserve it for emergency use only. Once a year, go through the bag to replace expired medication or snacks, update contact information, etc.
If you have pets, create a pet go bag in the event you need to bring your dog to a kennel of a friend’s home on short notice. Add leashes, portable bowls, some food and copies of veterinary records.