Fire Prevention: Focus on Incense
In 2019, two parishes experienced fire-related losses caused by the improper disposal of incense. Please take a moment to review the incense safety tips below.
- Before lighting coals, make sure the fire extinguisher is within easy reach and that everyone in sacristy knows its location.
- Dispose of matches and used coals in a water-filled metal bucket –never place in a trash bin.
- Light the thurible only in the sacristy.
- The thurible will be hot. Use tongs to handle the coals and never touch the thurible or cover it with your hands.
- Never leave lit coals unattended.
- To clean the thurible, scrape any incense/coals still adhering to the pot into the bucket.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Risk Management at 617-746-5742.